The Lowe Down
How to Set Up A Home-Workout Space: The New, Storable, Gym
As the holy grail of self-care, fitness should always be a priority, but with Covid-19 pretty much defining 2020, causing so much stress and disruption, starting or continuing a workout program is set to be the top New Year’s resolution for millions of Americans.
At the same time, most people are still leery of returning to a big box gym for fear of contracting Covid and have decided to workout at home. Home fitness equipment sales increased by 170% this year and shows no signs of slowing.
What are the best workouts to do at home? It depends on the tools at your disposal and the goals you set for yourself. If you have the appropriate equipment to support your level, there’s no limit. For those with no or minimal equipment, body weight strength/cardio such as HIIT, Yoga or stretching works for at-home sessions
Most people have already dedicated their extra room to an office /work space, so that usually leaves the living room or a covered terrace as the best options. There goes the idea of the dedicated home-gym room.
When I choose equipment for a home-gym, I consider the client level and program goals, and the quality of the space.
I choose equipment that can be hidden under a piece of furniture, or put in a closet to be taken out right before the virtual session. I text the client prior to tell them what we’ll be using that day. They set up the space and we’re good to go.
The ideal storable gym works for people with tiny spaces as well. I would skip the versa-climber and use the jump rope instead, if there is no corner or terrace available. If you are a runner, the TR1200i treadmill won’t break the bank, and Is foldable.
The variety of movements you can perform with the tools below is staggering. This sample home gym works for all levels. It allows for strength, endurance, mobility/flexibility, core work and more. If you do decide to return to the gym later, you’ll have both workout options.
Sample Home Gym
- Foam Roller
- Stability ball (55 or 65 cm)
- Assisted Pull-up bands
- Slider discs
- Doorway pull-up bar
- Adjustable dumbbell that converts to a barbell
- Olympic barbell & plates (plus)
- Select a weight adjustable dumbbell
- Various small dumbbells 3-15lbs
If space allows:
If you prefer Kettlebells, add a few, but you can swing, snatch and do a Turkish get-up, windmill and other movements, usually some with KBs, with dumbbells.
Home gym equipment
- Fitness Gear 2x6 Folding Exercise Mat
- Solana Yoga Mat 1" Thick
- TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller with Free Online Instructional Videos, Original (13-Inch)
- Luna Exercise Ball & Base
- 6 in 1 Adjustable Dumbbells Set Free Weights Dumbbells Exercise Barbell Weight Sets with Kettlebell Handle for Men Women Whole Body Workout Home Gym 2 Pair/Set
- Rogue SPEAL Pull-up Bar 2.0
- Serious Steel 41" Assisted Pull-up Band, Heavy Duty Resistance Band Sets, Stretching, Powerlifting, Resistance Training and Pull Up Assistance Bands
- VENIZIO Jump Rope (2pack) – 10ft / 3m Adjustable Length Jump Ropes for Fitness, Tangle-Free Jumping Rope
- Select-A-Weight 55 Lb. Dumbbell Set
- Fitness Gear Neoprene Dumbbell
- Sporzon! Olympic Barbell Standard Weightlifting Barbell
- MaxiClimber(r) - The Original Patented Vertical Climber, As Seen On TV - Full Body Workout with Bonus Fitness App for iOS and Android
- Elite Sportz Equipment Core Exercise Sliders - 2 Dual Sided Gliding Discs for Carpet & Hardwood Floors, Full Body Workout, Compact for Travel or Home
- TR1200i Folding Treadmill